GOOD LANGUAGE LEARNERS AND THEIR STRATEGIES: AN INSIGHT PEMBELAJAR BAHASA YANG BAIK DAN STRATEGI MEREKA: WAWASAN
- good language learners,
- language learning strategies,
- rural school
Copyright (c) 2016 Kumaresen Mahalingam, Melor Md. Yunus
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The Malaysian Education Blueprint is aimed to ensure every child is proficient in English Language besides Bahasa Malaysia. Thus the English Language syllabus is geared to mould learners to become successful language learners. However, not all learners are capable of being successful language learners despite years of schooling. Therefore, this study aims to investigate language learning strategies used by good language learners in learning English as their second language. To achieve the aim of the study, a questionnaire was used to collect the quantitative data. 30 pupils with good language ability from a rural primary school in Sabah were selected to participate in this study. The findings of the study indicated that different language learners prefer different learning strategies to improve their second language learning. The learning strategies also vary based on the language skills they are learning. The findings of the study are hoped to provide significant impact to the pupils, teachers and curriculum planners to integrate language learning strategies in teaching and learning to assist successful language learning.
- Chien, K. L. (2010). An Overview Of Language Learning Strategies.ARECLS 7: 132-152 Retrieved from http://research.ncl.ac.uk/ARECLS/volume7/lee_vol7.pdf
- Cohen, A., Oxford, R. & Chi, J. (2005). Learners Strategy Use Inventory. Retrieved from http://www.carla.umn.edu/about/profiles/cohen.html
- Embi, M.A.(2000). Language Learning Strategies: A Malaysian Context. Bangi: Penerbit Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia.
- Kashefian-Naeeini, S.,& Maarof, N. (2010). A study of the Use of Language Learning Strategy among Students in Iran. Malaysian Journal of ELT Research. 6: 195-232 Retrieved from
- Lessard-Clouston, M. (1997). Language Learning Strategies: An Overview for L2 Teachers. Japan: Kwansei Gakuin University.
- Malay Mail Online.(2015). Retrieved from http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/better-2015-upsr-results-38344-candidates-obtained-a-for-all-subjects
- Nazri, N.M., Yunus, M.M.,& Nazri, N.D.M. (2016). Through the Lenses of Good Language Learners: What Are Their Strategies?Advances in Language and Literacy Studies 7(1): 195-202 Retrieved from http://www.journals.aiac.org.au/index.php/alls/article/view/2064/1852
- O’Malley, J. M.,& Chamot, A. U. (1990). Learning strategies in second language acquisition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Oxford, R. L. (1990). Language learning strategies: What every teacher should know. New York: Newbury House
- Rubin, J.,& Thompson I. (1994). How to be a more successful language learner (2nd Ed.). Boston: Heinle & Heinle.
- Yunus, M., & Mat, S. S. (2014). Writing Needs and strategies of FELDA primary ESL pupils. Journal of Education and Human Development, 3(2), 1017-1035. Retrieved from http://jehdnet.com/journals/jehd/Vol_3_No_2_June_2014/61.pdf
- Yunus, M. M., Sulaiman, N. A., Embi, M. A. (2013). Malaysian Gifted Students’ Use of
- English Language Learning Strategies. English Language Teaching 6(4): 97-109. Retrieved from http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/elt/article/viewFile/25755/15919
- Zare, P. (2012). Language Learning Strategies Among EFL/ESL Learners: A Review of Literature. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science 2(5): 162-169 Retrieved from